Wednesday, November 3, 2010

The Champions League Tonight; who's coming to the party?

If you have a coaching job, I would gladly take it up if you pay well, but be warned; do not offer me the coaching job because I have always sung the Spurs song long before people knew who they were. Arrange an interview, ask for my plans and philosophies. If you ask further technical questions though, you may be confused and decide I am nuts and do not know what I am talking about. That is the opinion of many people that do not know football, that I do not know. Spurs must also let me find something to write about others.

And before I do, a childhood friend reminded me how I was nicknamed 'Thunderboots'. I had a strong and cool built physique and rolled over smaller opponents before blasting a thunderous bolt that blew goalkeepers away. In one of our 10 cents money games, I had to switch teams for a record fee of 20 cents. I sold sugar at 3 cents a spoon and 5 cents a slice of bread at a boarding school. All money game proceeds would be wasted on both bread and sugar to make solution as food supplements. To remove the dangerous advantage I was to the new team, I faked an injury and I had to play goalkeeper. Ever since, no one wanted to see me elsewhere. In my first year at high school, I was first choice goalkeeper. This made me not to accept second best even when I was, hence I never really waited long enough to be given a chance to don the first team jerseys wherever I went afterwards.

Besides goalkeeping, I was more popular as a discus thrower, although I did the shot putt. In one of the best moments, during the days of a dance routine called 'Cabbage', an athletics event at an institution known as DLM, an announcer on the PA system would not but marvel our joy of tearing our opponents apart, as with a very deep and slow voice that was filled with as much amazement as it was with amusement said, "Bantwana base JT, are you burning up????????" Cheers would be wilder and thank God, there were no vuvuzelas then, but what memories, what a time!

I think I am getting carried away. I am trying to say as little as I can about Spurs and Gareth Bale. Allow me to say this only once, that it is thought Bale could make £10m, £20m over the next five years from image rights and endorsements if he stays at White Hart Lane. There is inevitable talk of his possible moves and/or earnings and the fact that he is Welsh hurts the English so much that they are prepared to make a deal that will make him play for England. I think you have a better chance replacing Fabio Capello than seeing that happen.

Arsenal travel to a Champions League fixture against Shaktar looking for record-scoring to set themselves up for other tough matches to come. They will be eager to see how AC Milan and Real Madrid will do. While the Gunners have the pedigree to wallop their opponents in their own backyard, fans will want to see them score more goals than Man U in the group stages. The Red Devils scored 20 in their 1998/9 campaign in which they conquered Bayern Munich in that dramatic Ole Gunner Solskjaer injury time winner. Actually, for Wenger, wrapping up the last 16 slot will be paramount for his Premiership focus. The big story with a conventional journalist is the 14 goals in three games story that really means nothing. It is of course a Champions League record but Arsenal need to maintain their polished performances, and especially Andrei Arshavin has to come to the party and soon. Maraoune Chamakh does well until Nicklus Bendtner starts to warm up.

The Real Madrid's Jose Mourinho hopes to turn on the charm and unlock the traditional Italian defensive characterstic in its own factory as the Spanish giants travel to AC Milan for a juicy encounter. Madrid are at the top the La Liga with a one-point lead over arch-rivals and reigning champions, Barcelona. Mourinho is a man in a mission. He has to be the first manager to win the Champions League in 4 different leagues. He has to outdo himself. Real fans will take anything as long as Barca falter along the way, but this duel will be hard to seal as Milan feel they disappointed the last time these team meet. The match hinges on the red-hot Cristiano Ronaldo's form, as of late, the former Manchester United Portuguese wizard has been unstoppable. Ronaldo has scored evry goal he wanted to so far this season. Ozil has complimented his efforts without fail, as has Higuin.

The Special One's confidence and frankness has made him seem arrogant and therefore attracted enemies which he does mind their existance or noise. This schemer has  no point to prove but will surely give Madrid something this season that they have always longed for. His former team, Chelsea, are also out seeking to qualify early for the knock-out stage. Carlo Ancelotti will be looking to Flourent Malouda and a new habitual scorer, Ivanovic to get the goals. The Blues are a difficult team to play as Nicholas Anelka is also free scoring. The ball seems to be falling right in front of him as soon as he enters the 12 yard box.

Who will be qualifying tonight?

No comments:

Post a Comment