Thursday, October 21, 2010

Wayne Rooney and Sir Alex Ferguson need to tell you the truth, or I will.

In what is dubbed a Wayne Rooney's released a statement in response to Sir Alex Ferguson's comments on Tuesday, the former hottest property in English football claims he is jumping ship in pursuit of silverware. What silverware? Where else have you seen much more trophies than the Old Trafford cabinets? I mean, really, not counting the corroded ones at Anfield and a few at the Emirates? This is what Rooney had to say.

"I met with David Gill last week and he did not give me any of the assurances I was seeking about the future squad. I then told him that I would not be signing a new contract." You do not need to be a genius to read that quote but first let us understand why the meeting took place in the first place.

There is no doubt about the idolisation of Sir Alex by the United faithfuls and ordinary coaches. This guy has been the cornerstone of the club and even when he threatened to retire a few years back, Man U were prepared to break the bank to persuade him to stay, and there was nowhere the great team he would leave behind would match his standards of operation and success. The fact that the striker remains an admirer of the United boss, the future direction of the club comes to question and Rooney is suddenly a concerned citizen of Old Trafford. Actually, it is the vision Rooney exhibits even in his play when he opens up space, makes darting runs or releasing pin point passes. His timing is as excellent here.

Man U have been far below par this season and it became a big concern to a lot of players. Many do not have the pedigree and leverage that Rooney has because of his astronomical profile. There are more players, if not the entire team, that knows what Rooney knows. From this statement, "I was interested to hear what Sir Alex had to say on Tuesday and surprised by some of it. It is absolutely true, as he said, that my agent and I have had a number of meetings with the club about a new contract. During those meetings in August I asked for assurances about the continued ability of the club to attract the top players in the world. I have never had anything but complete respect for MUFC. How could I not have done given its fantastic history and especially the last six years in which I have been lucky to play a part? For me its all about winning trophies - as the club has always done under Sir Alex. Because of that I think the questions I was asking were justified."

I will stop assuming you can read between the lines. I will now tell you the truth both these guys can't tell you. The summary of these statements is that the Scottish Sir Alex Ferguson, coach of Manchester United of England, will soon leave the club. Yes, you heard right, he either will resign or will not renew his contract. That is why Rooney met Gill who could not guarantee Rooney that Sir Alex won't be going anywhere soon.

Rooney will not stand United without Ferguson and he knows there will be no more trophies, that is why he is telling us he is in pursuit of trophies. He is certain they are dried up at Old Trafford. "He is a great manager and mentor who has helped and supported me from the day he signed me from Everton when I was only 18. For Manchester United's sake I wish he could go on forever because he's a one off and a genius." he said of Sir Alex.

If Sir Alex leaves, Jose Mourinho will be the favourite to replace him at Old Trafford, although he has his Real Madrid contract that he seems to enjoy very much. He turned down the Portuguese national job, but he has always confessed of his desire to coach Man U. You will remember how much he wanted Rooney not to leave United. This will not take place tomorrow and maybe that is why Rooney can not wait. He wants to make hay while the sun shines. Anyone else taking over from Fergie will be have too big shoes to fill, unless a nobody or indeed, his deputies that includes Ole Gunnar Solskjar.

As for Rooney, City and Chelsea suit him fine. As for Madrid, he would enjoy the game but the environment would kill him. As a way out of his marital issues, it would provide a nice get away from the carnivorous English media.

2 comments:

  1. Oh is it a question that no matter how big you get according to SIR Alex you are his boy, the little thing he saved from Everton, so take the next contract as is cause we can do without you? Chucho is here so we do need need you? I do not know ...but I sometimes feel Alex did well to adapt to the new regime in coaching and player amangement but he never stopped his arrogance in valuing other people. You have to take his offer as is or go! Now thats MANURE! BMAFU

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very true indeed. No one is bigger than Sir Alex, but Rooney is certainly bigger than United, at least for now.

    ReplyDelete