Thursday, October 21, 2010

Match fixing - Nothing should surprise you by now, or not?

The Far East betting scandal comes with new revelations daily. Former Zifa Manicaland chairman Onisimo Makwangure was head of delegation to Tunisia for Monomotapa’s Champions League mini group stages tie with Etoile du Sahel in 2009. Monomotapa bought a luxury bus for about $40 000 after the tourney.
This is his report as handed over to the investigating team:
-Day of arrival in Tunisia, there were movements in the corridors at the hotel where we were staying.
- Mthulisi Maphosa (team captain) woke me up saying that the game had been fixed already.
- The following morning I bought a cellphone line and handset, sent sms to CEO.
- Then I went to pre-match meeting with Munemo, the Monomotapa team manager.
- I am convinced and know that Dhlakama and Munemo were involved in this scam which is below.
- The players were, in the eve of the match, bouncing balls in the corridor so as to disturb other players from their sleep. Players had a meeting in the coach’s room but he was not there for the team pre-match meeting.
- The syndicate selected individuals like the goalkeeper and Samanja (striker). On the day of the match I received calls for Rodwell on my phone from the CEO. When going to the stadium we deliberately used a long route so as to frustrate the unknowing players.
- Players wanted to boycott the match because it became apparent that something was untoward but we persuaded them to play. The CEO kept phoning Rod about management of the game.
- Rodwell was also always on the phone contacting other characters.
- Since I had the phone during play when Darryll (Nyandoro) shot at goal and nearly scored, Raja (betting syndicate member) phoned and asked why that shot had been taken, he thought the phone was with Rodwell.
- Over the phone Rodwell had an argument with the CEO and eventually Clayton was called in by Rodwell and given the phone to talk to her.
- A journalist (name supplied) was used as a decoy for me at half time. He took me for refreshments but I quickly dashed away to the dressing room as I was suspecting something was amiss.
- At half-time Rodwell was always on the phone and maybe had three minutes off during that period.
- I noticed that players had removed their socks and did not want to go back saying that money had changed hands and therefore they wanted to know how much.
- During the second half only Darryll and Samakweri (Chris) were putting all effort to win.
- Clayton was hit by Mthulisi after the game.
- On our way back at Dubai, the reporter was arrested and we left him there and the police were hostile.
- Rodwell then stuck to me and the doctor. When we were in Johannesburg I asked Rodwell to phone the CEO to organise food for the players, but he refused saying that he was afraid that she would harass him.
- He then took us out of OR Tambo Airport for lunch and drinks including his family. Monomotapa’s manager joined us as well. Meanwhile players were like street kids at OR Tambo Airport.
- I noticed that Monos secretary-general Makombe though present was totally at sea with the happenings then. We were nearly refused boarding of the plane from Johannesburg to Harare due to disorderliness by the players through frustration.
- On arrival I phoned Solomon Mugavazi(club director) about the issues and he showed that he was concerned.
- I went to report to Serious Fraud of ZRP and was interviewed by senior police officer in charge of that section.
At the court the first respondent was the Zifa chief executive officer, second was Rodwell and third was Munemo.
*Marodza was the investigating officer.
*I was later on phoned by the CEO to come to her office and went there only to find Marodza being given a Legea replica jersey.
*I then went back to Mutare.
*I then was called by Rodwell and he said that he wanted to see me. He asked me to save him and confessed to me that the people who were behind these betting syndicates were the CEO and Musavengana (Jonathan).
*He then phoned the CEO in my presence to confirm that the deals were done by CEO and Musavengana.
*Rodwell wanted to commit suicide.
*If you noticed until then Rodwell was the continuous coach for the Under-23s. No one else was assigned to the national teams

No comments:

Post a Comment