Tuesday, February 15, 2011

The Barclays Premeir League: I have dying to tell you this

I spent a lot of time being humble and taking a back seat in life. You know by now that those times for me are gone. When it comes to football, I can tell you to put a trillion bucks on me because I am just good. Regular readers will know how much I successfully differed with Arsene Wenger's opinions and predictions during the 2010 FIFA World Cup. That was not the reason why I stopped sympathising with Arsenal and went for Tottenham Hotspur. You must appreciate that as a high profile coach, supporting a team is not an option.

It sounded crazy how I could give Spurs all the praise and support. After looking at who they are and the way the did things, I was sure they were destined for great things. They reached the FA Cup final, got the UEFA Champions' League spot and actually did better than many thought. All these were a surprise to many but not me.

I must admit that in my criticism of Arsene Wenger's Arsenal, totally on footballing grounds, I was almost eating a humble pie. The aborted arrival of one Frimpong who got a pre-season injury for the whole season, the incredible sudden polished finishing of Theo Walcott, the discovery of Jack Wilshre and the incredible form of Samir Nasri and the best player in the league so far this season, Alex Song, almost made me forget the Gunners' character. It took their 25th fixture to remind me why they will never have my backing until either they overhaul the actual team or the technical department. This pairing is too old to work, period.

If you are worth your footballing salt, you will know this line by now, that, champions win both home and away. They beat fellow contenders themselves. They brush aside small teams. Arsenal blew away a 4-0 half-time lead against Newcastle. If the Gunners go on to win the Premiership title, it may be a universal record. I still think that they are taking solace that they have won the Carling Cup, which is yet to take place. That is a child's mentality they need to shed off. They still have Barcelona to contend with in Europe. Revenge of that embarrassing defeat should be a priority. If they do not change the mindset, it may be lightning striking the same post twice.

Elsewhere, it's days after the transfer window. This blog mentioned how much Liverpool scored in selling one of my former favourite players of all time, faded and now over-rated Fernando Torres. For his ineffectiveness, they got Luis Suarez and Andy Carroll. Torres continues with his sterility at Chelsea while Suarez has scored once and stroke the cross bar twice and the post. Carroll is still to make his debut. Either Chelsea feel duped or realise their folly. It was a lot of money spent on a spent force. They could have paid less for Kenwyne Jones of Stoke City. The man has not team-mates to play with.

Manchester City have the cleverest player I have seen in years. David Silva is a dynamite in a small package. The man toils and is intelligent. Carlos Tevez does not take lightly to being out shined. This will make City ordinary to the benefit of both Manchester United and Spurs. As for Chelsea, only God knows.

Speaking of United, the Wayne Rooney wonder goal is the talk of the week. I guess, there is more to who scored that acrobatic than the goal itself. I see many such goals daily and there is not much much fuss. Such is life and sometimes you wonder why. That is why it is necessary to know you are not Rooney and no matter what you do, no one cares. You must know how good you are and let the world know. Otherwise everyone is busy trying to see what Wayne does and they have no time to tell your story. I like good and finer things in life and I am good at doing what I do. I am the best in football.

2 comments:

  1. Hi. Visiting from Networked Blogs. I am your newest follower. I found this very interesting and I don't usually follow sports. I look forward to reading your blog.
    Please stop by and visit mine.
    http://giftsbyamotherstouch.blogspot.com/
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Monica. May God bless you and I hope you find the post interesting and educative.

    ReplyDelete