Monday, March 12, 2012

In their own words: Godfrey Paradza

e-Diski: Hello Goddie. It's been a very long time.


Goddie: Hie Ndex,forgive me for responding late. Ngingumuntu omnyama.

e-Diski: No worries, you will pay for it, haha. So where are you?



Goddie: I'm in UK.

e-Diski: With your family?



Goddie: Yes, wife and our 3 kids.

e-Diski: Wow. And what are you doing now?



Goddie: I run a football academy in Bulawayo and a sports shop in Gwanda.


e-Diski: What was your favourite nickname?


Goddie: GP.

e-Diski: How did you get it?



Goddie: It stuck just coming from my initials.

e-Diski: When was your defining or breakthrough moment?



Goddie: It was in 1982 when I played for Zimbabwe Saints first team.


e-Diski: How old where you then? 


Goddie: I was just 17.

e-Diski: Great. And you never looked back. Where were you and what were you doing before then?



Goddie: I was in Bulawayo and I was part of the famous junior policy. 


e-Diski: I remember you were part of that great youth side, Liverpool.


Goddie: Hahaha, yes. It was fantastic. The coach and the environment was great.


e-Diski: What was your memorable moment?


Goddie: Winning the first of my four league championships in 1991 with Dynamos was a huge highlight for me.


e-Diski: Which one is your highest or proudest achievement?


Goddie: Representing my country at both junior and senior level made me very proud and gave me a good feeling.


e-Diski: What makes you tick?


Goddie: It is the desire to succeed. I want to succeed in everything I do.

e-Diski: What is your dream?



Goddie: I think to bring back normalcy in our football. Things are not right somewhere.


e-Diski: How do you intend to achieve it?


Goddie: By working with former players and administrators of the day. Running football and its administration is all team work like the game itself. People must work together.

e-Diski: What was the regrettable moment?



Goddie: Factionalism at Dynamos in 1992. It was just sad.

e-Diski: Who was your best teammate to play with?



Goddie: The late Francis Shonhayi. He was a great player.

e-Diski: Many will remember Sandura. May his soul rest in peace. Who was your toughest opponent?



Goddie: Friday Phiri. Amayenge always gave defenders problems.


e-Diski: What do you think of the game today?


Goddie: Paying well but not exciting. It is now too ordinary somehow.

e-Diski: I think you will get a lot of people to agree with you here. Which is the best football team at the moment?



Goddie: Barcelona must be the best team at the moment.


e-Diski: You support the Catalans.


Goddie: No, no. I support Liverpool.

e-Diski: Ok. Who is the best player?



Goddie: Lionel Messi.

e-Diski: What music do you listen to?



Goddie: I listen to mostly Reggae.

e-Diski: Which is your favourite movie?



Goddie: The Bourne Identity

e-Diski: Oh great. Goddie, thanks very much for your time and chat, and God bless you in everything you do.



Goddie: Sure Ndex and be blessed.


Godfrey Paradza was a solid defender playing for top teams like Highlanders FC, Dynamos FC and Tornadoes. He played for the Warriors on several occasions and many strikers respected his game and tackling. He played alongside the great David Mwanza, Peter Fanuel, Misheck and Sunday Marimo and Elvis Chiweshe among a list of decorated legends. Paradza is a qualified coach of note, having coached Zimbabwe Saints and Mbabane Highlanders of Swaziland among man other teams. 

No comments:

Post a Comment