Monday, March 26, 2012

In their own words: Emmett Ndlovu.


eDiski: Hello Mr Ndlovu.

Emmett: Hie Soccer Diski.

e-Diski: Long time. How is life and family?

Emmett: Sure. Well thanks. My family is ok.

e-Diski: Tell me more about them.

Emmett: Oh, yes.  I have a wife and was blessed with 3 boys and a cute girl.

e-Diski: What are you doing now?

Emmett: Currently not active in football.

e-Diski: So what do you do now?

Emmett: I'm into sportswear distribution and part time farming, especially cattle breeding.

e-Diski: What was your last post/position in football?

Emmett: I was Bantu Rovers General Manager.

e-Diski: And before that?

Emmett: I was the last Acting Bosso CEO doubling up as Team Manager.

e-Diski: How do you think you fared?

Emmett:  As Bosso manager, we won the championship on my 1st year in 2007, and then we were runners up 2008.

e-Diski: That was the highlights of your tenure?

Emmett: No doubt.

e-Diski: Things were different at Tshintsha Guluva ….

Emmett: Of course but at Bantu Rovers l helped the team survive relegation in 2010.

e-Diski: Which was great. If you got the same posts back, what would you do different?

Emmett: Do more PR (public relations) and try to look beyond the playing part of the game. I would work on the harmonization of all structures and stakeholders to help the institution to grow.

e-Diski: What do you think of the incumbent office bearers?

Emmett: My belief is that ‘kusinwa kudedelwana.’

e-Diski: Meaning?

Emmett:  We all must give all our support to the guys in office now until the button stick is handed over, but l strongly believe one day, if given a chance, l'll prove to be one of the best administrators because of my 20 years of being involved in football matters in various roles.

e-Diski: What do you think the organisation needs to be a better entity?

e-Diski: What role do you think you can play in the current set-up?

Emmet: My door is open if anyone thinks I can be useful to them, anytime.

e-Diski: What is your next move?

Emmett: Like I said, I am making myself available for the utilisation of my experience under different leaderships and economic environments.

e-Diski: What do you think other people can do to help the organisation?

Emmett: They are doing well under the circumstances but I believe they can do much better.

e-Diski: What was your memorable moment?

Emmett: As I said, I will always cherish winning the championship on my first year as Bosso manager.

e-Diski: What was the regrettable moment?

Emmett: How l was left out of that great institution when l wasn't feeling well.

e-Diski: What did you do?

Emmett: l moved over to Bantu to earn a living. I was viewed as a traitor and people never got to know the truth.

e-Diski: What was the truth?

Emmett: For the respect of fellow football professionals, I will skip that one.

e-Diski: Fair enough. Who were your best people to work with?

Emmett: On the technical side, it was (Ernest) Maphepha as manager and Rahman as coach. Eish, what a team ... oh by the way, the late Benjie (Moyo) as well as Tse at some stage. That team was a machine. I was the Bosso physio then, and wow!

e-Diski: Hahaha, I’m glad I am on your list, thanks. Who was your toughest challenge?

Emmett: Too many administrative boobies and red tape.

e-Diski: What do you think of the football today?

Emmett: The money is there because there are sponsors. I don't see why we should fail.

e-Diski: Which is the best football team at the moment?

Emmett: Currently Barcelona is the best team.

e-Diski: Are you a Catalan?

Emmett: Oh no.  I support Real Madrid in Spain and Liverpool in the UK, but Barca are just good.

e-Diski: Mmm, that’s sportsmanship. Who is the best player?

Emmett: Lionel Messi, no doubt.

e-Diski: What music do you listen to?

Emmett: Gospel music and nothing else.

e-Diski: Which is your favourite movie?

Emmett: No movies. I don’t believe in fiction. I would rather read my Holy Bible.

e-Diski: Wow. Emms thanks very much for your time and chat, and may God bless.

Emmett: Thank you for your talking to me. Be blessed always.

Emmett Ndlovu was always useful to Highlanders and the national teams of Zimbabwe over extended periods of time spurning over twenty years in different roles. He mainly assumed medical roles but showed leadership qualities as Acting Chief Executive Officer of Tshilamoya and General Manager of Bantu Rovers. Football politics tempered with his potential growth in the game and he hopes to shake it off and play an effective role in the near future. He is a God fearing man.  

No comments:

Post a Comment